Sunday, May 8, 2011

New job. "New life at 22'

Dear Blogger mcbloggerson,
i have missed you!

I knew I was setting a pace I couldn't hold when I started posting every day or every other day but I guess now is the time when I learn to fit it in.

The reason i haven't been blogging (or keeping up on everybody's lives on facebook :/) is because I started my new job! I was officially offered the job just 20 days after my last day at my previous job. It was really neat (yea, I said "neat") being thrust into the job hunt process. I knew there was a hunter in me, it was just waiting for a reason to get out. Once I decided it was go time, I grabbed my old communications book from a college course I took that was centered around writing resumes, looked up my resume on my computer (which hadn't been updated in 2 years), dug out my fancy resume paper and started adding my work experience. How do I say, "worked my ass off" in a more professional way? Bullet points, that's how. These statements sum up everything you've done for the last couple years of employment. After several drafts on scratch paper and many brainstorming sessions with my sister, I typed it all out, saved it and sent it to friends and family members for suggestions (it always helps to have another set of eyes). It took about 2 days to get it perfect and ready for print. I applied for a few positions, wrote my cover letters, and emails (all with help from my trusty book) and started the second part of my journey to employment- gaining mental confidence.
Yup, again with the meditation. I started focusing my thoughts on my career pathway and envisioned myself successful. This was actually really hard to do. I'm really good at making the best of any situation, any income, any lifestyle and it was actually a struggle to get myself to go beyond the thoughts of job search struggle and actually see myself financially stable, happy and I even went as far to imagine myself LESS stressed! Eventually, as you work your way up in the world, people are paying for your mind and not just your ability to do physical labor (or in my case, and to quote my resume...ability to "work in a fast paced environment".) Anyone can make an ice cream cone, but are smart enough to make more than one product to save time? Anyone can instruct a workout, but do you know why that workout is going to make your athletes better? Anyone can turn a computer on, but do you know how to use it, do you know what you're looking for? Paying for your brain. I would say there really aren't that many jobs out there in the world where you don't need to think but I do think there's a lot of thinkers out there doing jobs that don't utilize their minds to their fullest capacity.

The beauty of the job search is that you get to stop, look at yourself, acknowledge your skills and decide, "What job is going to
1) Make me feel accomplished
2) Be a new challenge
3) Give me the opportunity to learn more
4) Offer financial security
5) Give me the chance to use the skills that I have developed.
?'

Once I really had a clear read on what it was going to take to make me happy in my career and became comfortable enough to picture myself successful (because of my hard work) it seemed like everything just fell into place. I have already worked for 1 week and I love it. It's definitely not the perfect job for everyone but it's the perfect job for me. My favorite part is that my boss is a silent genius. He is very humble but it seems like every time I interact with him, he surprises me with what he knows AND his desire to teach me! Everyone there is teaching me....I love learning! (go ahead, stamp GEEK on my forehead, whatev...)

Here's some scattered thoughts on how I've adjusted to the new schedule:
  • I time my daily commute. Sometimes I look down at my speedometer and it says "5mph" but I doesn't seem to change my overall arrival time by much.
  • Tonight I packed my gym bag for before work, my gym bag for after work, my work clothes bag, my briefcase/bag, my meals (pre-workout, post workout, brunch, lunch, snack, car ride pre-workout) and even got the coffee ready for tomorrow. This will probably never happen again but I'm trying to form good habits.
  • It took zero days to adjust to being a morning person. I think I am very flexible with my sleep schedule, I just need 7ish hours a day. It could be with naps, it could be at night, it could be a "resting state" of meditation. Just 7 hours of no movement.
  • WEEKENDS ARE AWESOME! It's like the ultimate REFRESH button.
I have a few more blogs started but incomplete that I'll try to get up here. I know no one is anxiously awaiting my next update, but I have heard that my blogs are great time fillers during the work day or when people are bored and awake at night!

time for bed. Getting up super early to go swimming. Aquathlon Nationals is in like 2 weeks. Why the hell did I sign up for this race?! (I can't even pronounce it)

1 comment:

  1. Pamela, you cannot imagine how proud I am of your strength, determination and commitment to your own development and success!! Love your Blog!! You are an inspiration!!

    Love, Aunt Peg

    ReplyDelete