Yesterday I was talking to my sister and fellow food-lover, Karyn over the phone about the weather. She lives in Colorado and there was snow on the ground in the morning. I live in Michigan and the weather is JUST starting to look better. When we were talking it was warmer in CO than it was in MI (so much can happen in a day!). We were discussing the seasonal foods of spring and I told her, "I don't even feel like eating Oatmeal anymore". As soon as I said it out loud, I wish I could take it back. Done with oatmeal...what's wrong with me?! I was trying to make a statement signifying that winter heavy foods are no longer on my shopping list but it breaks my heart to openly admit Oatmeal season (did you notice I have a tendency to capitalize the O? I have THAT much respect for it!) is over. The words have been swirling through my brain for a 24 hours now and I just can't accept that I said it. I stopped and I wondered, what is it that I LOVE about oatmeal?
- You can add different ingredients each day
- It's cheap
- It fills you up
- It's super delicious
Pointing out these facts made me realize that all the same could apply to pancakes! Let the experiments begin! Today's "just add water" pancake mix turned into "just add all the same junk you'd put in your oatmeal". Aunt Jemima, while disapproving, cooperated. I cut up an apple (left the skin on because I'm lazy and I like 'em), grabbed some golden raisins (which my sister has so kindly compared to boogers when discovered in cookies or baked goods) and some...(are you ready..?)
Hershey's Cinnamon Baking chips...aka lil' ooey gooey pockets of happiness. Started with a spray of Pam, ended with a spray of Butter (yeah, I know it's not good for you...it's butter in a spray bottle, convenience trumps health risks in this argument). Moments later I was clawing into my creation with my crappy IKEA ill-sized fork. WINNER! They were/are/are going to be awesome! I'm freezing the rest of the pancakes and have set myself up for a great toaster snack later in the week (this tip is also compliments of the same food-loving sister).
So, to summarize, yes...oatmeal season
is over but pancake season has just begun!
No comments:
Post a Comment