Contrary to what I posted earlier, I did not end up going on a ride with my now, ex-cycling idol because he TOTALLY bailed on me. I deserved it, he's invited me on many group rides and I've always had some lame excuse why I couldn't go. So, if you're reading this ex-best friend, I forgive you. ;D Instead I ventured out on my own (what I do best). Around 5pm I started to get really sleepy. I decided, it's okay to take just a short nap. Then I realized, what the hell am I thinking? It is BEAUTIfUL outside and while yes, I did already have a long productive day, I didn't deserve a nap. So, I jumped up and started getting ready for my ride. Today's bicycle of choice-Ruby the road bike. Stuffed the bento bag with my license, a credit card, some pepper spray, a few gels that I knew I wouldn't use and a bar that I knew I wouldn't eat. I decided earlier today that today was going to be "hard ride" day. Yup, that's what my workout schedule has come down to. Easy days, hard days, rest days. It's awesome. I put on my new favorite jersey (the BOA jersey I got from my brother-in-law that he designed), my nicely padded bike shorts, HR strap, garmin, pigtails, (I actually looked in the mirror WITH my helmet on to make sure I looked extra cute (when you're a girl on a bike, there's no much more you can do other than pigtails to make you NOT look like a boy). No socks, tri shoes, 2 bottles of heed (150 calories each) and a smile. I stomped down the stairs of my apartment, opened the door and jumped on my bicycle on my journey to no where. I rode past the men (that I'm pretty sure are in the mafia) that live next to me and gave a wave. They didn't wave back. Awkward. I looked at the clock and I had about 2 hours and 25 minutes until sunset. I was dressed like it was 80 degrees out (it was 60) and I knew I'd be screwed if the sun set while I was still out. Lately I've been chasing the sunset on my rides. I'm pretty sure I've been outside as the sun was setting every evening for the last 7 days. Haven't been able to say that in quite some time. I rode towards jefferson, but later ended up on mack, eventually I made a turn somewhere and was riding through the beautiful neighborhoods of grosse pointe. Then I spotted him, a cyclist, who looked like he didn't suck. So naturally I decided to hunt him down. I followed this guy for a while and just as I was about to catch him, he turned, looked at me, and turned on a side street. Yeah dude, I was creeping. You'd do it too if the only bikers you interact with lately are homeless dudes.
When he turned, I kept going straight...straight towards what? I dunno. I wasn't lost, I just didn't know where exactly I was. I got myself to Jefferson and took it all the way down to Belle Isle. I rode through the ghetto. I noticed that I ride harder, faster and more efficient when I fear for my life. Good workout tip- ride like you're being chased by a bullet. When on got onto the island it brought back great memories of the Motor City Triathlon. Thinking about how fast I rode during that race made me decide that it was probably a better idea to just chill out and rehydrate. I started drinking my heed and took some rolling pictures of myself singing along to "pour some sugar on me" (should i have lied and pretened it was a much cooler song?). If you were coordinated enough to take pictures of yourself while riding, you'd do it too! (I discovered this talent back in 2009 when I went for a long ride in Mackinaw City...and surrounding cities by myself. I rode off the island and headed back. Garmin said I was at 23 miles, that meant it was going to take twenty somethin' miles to get back. Ugh, why do I do this to myself. I often have to remind myself that I can ride at pretty solid pace, with a medium amount of pain for a long time. I looked at my speed and decided I'd AT LEAST keep it above my ironman/century pace (around 20). I rode back through the ghetto. Fun fact- Pamela on a bicycle progresses at the same rate as the city bus. It would pass me then stop, I'd pass it, then pass me and stop...this happened for about 7 miles.I continued along jefferson, along lakeshore, chased down another biker, waved at an RBS yellow-jerseyed biker that I'm pretty sure I saw yesterday, smiled at a guy who asked me to high five him, checked myself out in a few low-windowed buildings, and eventually acknowledge something I was trying to ignore- THIS IS STARTING TO HURT! I'm a lab rat... or better yet, I used to be a lab rat. This means I did all of my hard efforts in a training lab (nothing wrong with this, actually makes you have a little more self-control when out on the road). In the lab we do (did) 90 minute workouts. Eventually my body started to get used to the 90 minutes. Anything longer than 90 minutes felt like FOREVER when it came to running or biking. This is also near the time when you start to feel the effects of not fueling. Usually, I don't care, but today I was chasing the sunset! I looked down and I was at 40 miles and I was getting cold. Every person I saw outside had long pants, jackets and some had GLOVES! Ugh. Shoulda wore socks. I watched the sun fall behind the trees and realized that I needed to hurry my lil bicycle butt home. Did a little sprint to pick up the pace and it didn't last long. I looked down and I was at around 18/19 and I didn't really know how far I was from home. The last 5 miles hurt (ps-I only drank 150 cals total on my ride)
. I made my gerrr face and started making gerrr noises everytime I had to accelerate from a stop light. I climbed a hill out of saddle, growning and tearing up (I forgot my sunglasses) and didn't realize til I sat back down that there was a parade of cars witnessing my angry climb and driving at the 15mph pace I had set. Eventually, I made it home, spun out my legs a little bit, did my lil awkard wave to the mafia guys and walked myself and my bicycle up to my apartment. I made pasta and ate garlic Naan from trader joes (omg, it's so delicous!). I drank 2 scoops (that just made me crave raisin bran) of my Endurox recovery drink with luke warm water because I turned the wrong handle of the faucet. Eww.
Stats: 2 hours and 27 minutes (2 minutes longer than the 2:25 I gave myself). 45.05 miles. Figured that was respectable considering it was on crappy roads, in the ghetto and I had to stop and take pictures.
Today was a good day. Tomorrow is devoted to sending out my resume to a few more places (I've been hesitant to click send on the out of state jobs, I don't want to leave my family...)but Newton iiiiisss hiring, shopping for business apparel, taking off my black nailpolish, running when my legs recover from this ride, and resting...whenever the hell I feel like it! Today was a good mental health day. Hoping tomorrow will be even better.
Wow that journey in your bike is great!
ReplyDeleteI only do the Jefferson to Belle Isle ride on Sundays to avoid traffic. I come from the other direction and through the industrial section of Detroit so getting to downtown Detroit is a relief. Heading out to Island Lakes with Marshall soon.
ReplyDeleteScribs