Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Well that's what you get for staying in shape"

I just came from a meeting with my professor. I was in his office discussing our plan for our classification system for websites. Our work together is part of the Research Scholar program at the university. Yes, that makes me a "research scholar". Sometimes it's not about how smart you are, its more a matter of how cool your title makes you.
Anyways, as we were finishing up our discussing in his office, there was a knock on his door. Who enters? My international marketing professor. Well, that was pretty awkward. I'm being introduced as a "research scholar" and I'm the girl that shows up late to class, sits on her phone the entire time, and leaves early. In fact, I think today was the first time this professor has even heard my voice. Point being, I play a different role in different classes. Thursday night's international marketing class is a class that you HAVE TO show up to, but a solid 9 hour study session right before the test will teach you everything you need to know. It's almost as if all the class discussions are there to potentially distract you from the what you really need to know- the book.

And there we have it, my mind has wandered from the initial purpose of this post.
"Well that's what you get for staying in shape."
Here's the story, I'll try to keep it short:
My professors started chatting and I saw that as my cue to leave. Another woman professor came in from down the hall. She was blocking the doorway, so I kindly asked her to allow me through. I started walking down the hall and realized I had left my USB in my prof's computer. When I came back to get it, my prof was explaining to the others who I was. Upon entering the room he mentioned that i was recovering from broken ribs. I said, "oh yes, but I'm healing.", the woman looked at me and said, "how'd you break them?". "mountain biking". She smacked the air motioning as if she was smacking my back and said, "well, that's what you get for staying in shape." So, this is where I started wondering...do I really deserve to be punished for staying in shape? What if I told her that I eat healthy too? Do I deserve a terminal illness now? Should I take this comment as an eye-opener? Maybe now I'll think before I decide to live a healthy and active lifestyle. If my tires are slashed or my house burns down, at least NOW i know what to blame for my bad fortune.

You may be thinking that I've taken her statement totally out of context. Well, she probably didn't think that I deserved pain, but she definitely gave me that "I hate you because you're young and healthy " look. When she continued the conversation and used the terms, "old people like us...", I knew that the bitterness was there.

Okay, time to go to class. I'm praying we get out early and I have time to get in a 2 or 3 hour walk while studying tonight. Yes, I really did just say WALK. I'll explain my current workout plan later...

No comments:

Post a Comment