Friday, October 8, 2010

Talking to strangers

I was running on a path approaching an old man holding a newpaper. He looked at me and started talking. I couldn't hear him because I had my headphones in. For some reason, I assumed he was yelling at me, but when I took my headphones off, I realized he was complimenting my tan. This was our conversation:

Old man: "Where did you get that nice tan, from a tanning booth?!"
Stunned Pamela the runnner: "Umm...uhh..no, I was down south recently"
Old man: "Oh really? For how long, where did you go?"
SPTR: wondering why he's starting a conversation... "South Carolina...for about 10 days"
Old man: "Where did you graduate from?"
SPTR: Oakland University
Old man: No, highschool.
SPTR: Roseville
Old man: (At this point he started rambling about knowing someone that he knew that looked like me.)
SPTR: Starting to run away and end the conversation. Okay, nice meeting you
Old man: Do you have a boyfriend?
SPTR: giggles.. Uh, nope.
Old man: Well JEEZE!, Girl, you look good!
SPTR: blushing. Thanks!

I ran my fastest mile of my 1:40 run right after that conversation.
Initially, it would good to be complimented. Moments later, I found it interesting that he was stunned that I don't have a boyfriend and that his response was "you look good!", as if I didn't know! For a quick second, I started to get bitter, thinking, why does everyone think that being in a relationship is some kind of reward and that single people must not realize their potential. Single people MUST have low self-esteem. Right? So wrong. I started to go into a mental rant about how unfortunate it is that more people aren't happy being single but then I realized that this kind old man had been nothing but nice to me, and there's no reason to twist his words and intentions. I flipped my mindset and continued my run with positive thoughts.

For anyone who knows what I'm talking about when I say "week 3, day 3", then you understand why my mind is working the way it is. For the ladies out there, you understand- we turn into monsters at a certain point in the month and our minds don't allow positive thoughts to enter our brain. Men, beware. Its almost better not to talk to us at all. A compliment turns to an insult and an insult is well... great ammo for the argument of a lifetime.

For the record, it's not W3D3 yet, but it's coming. Beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment