Saturday, February 20, 2010

Run Month

Blah. I'm not sure what I said my run month plan was, but I'll tell ya right now- I lied. I'm pretty sure I had intentions of running 60 miles the first week, then a 10% increase every week on from that. Well, I think I've been decreasing 10% a week since I wrote that. I'm still running 40+ a week, but since I have teammates that are running like double that, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing much. Here's the deal- I HATE running. Hate it. Yup, i can't stand it. Wait... let me step back for a moment. I guess I have warmed up to it, a bit...but I just have some issues, allow me to share:
  1. I sweat WAY MORE than any human being I've ever encountered. I have about 200 ppl that can vouch for that. So, running- If I'm outside, I have to plan my layers correctly or I end up severely uncomfortable with no control over my temperature.
  2. (Goes with 1) I don't own a plethora of run clothes, so once I've sweated out one outfit, it's not an option again until I do Laundry.
  3. (this is where the slippery slope begins...) I rarely have time to do laundry because I'm at the lab a gazillion hours a week.
  4. When I do laundry, I have to go downstairs. Again, I must travel these stairs to go back upstairs. This trip is completed approximately 3 times for the laundry process to be complete. STAIRS HURT because why? RUNNING! What a sick, vicious cycle. Right? Back to more reasonable excuses:
  5. I just started running 14 months ago. Really, I should say, I took my FIRST RUN STRIDE EVER 14 months ago. No joke, I used to tell everyone, "I can't run, I'll never be able to run". Can you believe that, I said those words out loud. "Can't" and "never". I'm embarrassed, but fortunately, Coach changed my mind.
  6. My run has improved GREATLY, but not as much as the swim and the bike. So, there are 3 disciplines. I think you have to hate one!
  7. The bike- I have the computrainer and a coach and a hundred athletes around me that are awesome on the bike. So much information, advice, tips, drills, lots of guidance. The swim- I know a ton of swimmers through the team, have great coaches-Tony and Andrea, and I feel like I know what I need to do, it's just up to me to do it. The run- I have no idea what's right or wrong, what shoes to wear, what stride to have, where to keep my arms, how to breathe... I mean, yes, I have guidance, but nothing is as concrete in run world as it is in swimming and biking. "whatever works best for you". No! I need the run community to tell me EXACTLY what to do and THEN, I'll be a runner. Mmmk?

Okay, I'll save excuses 8-600 until next post.

So, I just finished an online midterm on the history of Rock and Roll. (Glad i saved some gen eds for the last semester of my degree). The exam took a few hours of studying and 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete. It was kind of cool, listening to sound clips from the different eras. James Taylor- Fire and Rain stuck out especially. I forgot how much I love that song.

Good news:
  • Since bike month is over, my ass is like brand new! Yeah, raise your hand if you wanted to hear that? Fine, probably TMI, but I'm quite excited. I was getting to the point where I thought I may have to learn to ride standing up for hours at a time. Luckily cutting my miles down for a week, helped me out a ton.
  • I won a helmet from Rudy Project for winning Female overall bike mileage. It's nice. Free stuff is nice, especially because this is likely to be the ONLY thing I EVER win in tri world. Gonna tell ma and pa, they'll be proud. "Do you win money if you win a race?" Oh dear, how do you say, "this sport costs a shit ton of money, consumes most of your life and your mind, all you get is a stinkin' T-shirt....and I like it" to you people in your life that DON'T do tri's? Pretty much a lost cause.
  • I have big plans to sleep in tomorrow. YES! Riding in the lab 12-3. Running 13..14 miles sometime during the day. Maybe swimming at OU.
  • Today in the pool we learned defensive swimming. Should've been titled, "How to swim if you're in a pickle". He taught us how to turn to a backstroke, empty water from our goggles, and turn back over. Also, how to draft properly, sight and many more things. It was a good fun time.
  • SLEEP TIME. Peace out everyone who reads this. Is there anyone out there...?!


No comments:

Post a Comment