Saturday, June 20, 2009

I'm going to be a runner

Triathlon Training
I decided that it's time that I become a stronger runner. I keep saying, "I'm going to be a runner", because right now, I run, but I'm not a runner by any means. All of my 5K race times have been in the 8:00-9:00min/mile range. They've all been sub 9:00 but my goal is to race sub 8's...at LEAST! I'm seriously amazed at how lucky I've been in terms of race results based on my pathetic run times! I guess it really pays off to be a strong biker and quick in transition. I've viewed some of the transition times for those that I'm competing against and I can't help but chuckle a little. I mean, what are they doing in T1 that takes them upwards of 3-4 minutes? Get in, grab your helmet and run away with your bike! I guess I'm fortunate to have learned all the cool tricks for cutting seconds off of your time from my coach. So anyways, sorry about that short little rant, let's get back to the focus of this entry. I'm going to be a runner. I told myself at the beginning of the week that I would run every single day. I did, except, well, yesterday. So, 5 outta 6 days so far isn't bad. I feel better, and more confident. I'm running on my new Newton shoes that are made to make you run like you would naturally run if you were running barefoot. The focus is on running on your forefoot instead of tip toes or striking on your heal. Guess what people? I'm a heal striker, and apparently, from what I hear, I'm an idiot. I started running in January. Each run was followed by a day of PAIN! I hated getting in my car, or changing clothes. My hips were on fire and I couldn't bend any part of my body. Slowly, I got better but every time I asked people for tips, they said, "just RUN". Well ladies and gentlemen, that's not true. And it took 6 months of training wrong for the truth to come out. You don't just run. You "just run" if you've been running your entire life and you already know the basics. You "just run" if you've been in sports since birth and your coaches have been making you run at every practice. For someone like me, who has NO BACKGROUND of moving quickly, you don't just run. Not to mention, I've been schooled in the art of Turbo Jam. Not to say that Turbo hasn't helped me in every single other aspect of triathlon training, it sort of hindered my running abilities. I just assumed that in running you'd want to stand tall and rigid and bang that heel on the pavement. Shox kind of lead me to believe that I should be landing on that boingy heel. Well, the turbo tuck and straight up posture DID NOT help my run. I've finally learned about the "relaxed athletic pose". They tell me, get into a natural athletic stance. Ha! Natural? Really, we're not all born as athletes. You have to tell me EXACTLY what you want me to do and I'll do it. There's nothing natural about swim, bike, run for me! So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm putting extra attention towards my run and I hope to see the progress as my results are posted.


I'm pretty sure I'm getting stronger on the bike. I try harder every single time I enter the lab. If I'm not doing labor breathing, I'm not trying hard enough. I usually sweat about 3 or 4 lbs of water weight away. I pretty much just rain while I workout.

"Social Life"
Alright people, cut me a break. I get it, I'm a loser. Yes, I put myself in a cocoon for about 6 months and now I'm breaking free. I convinced myself that it was okay to swim, bike, run and talk about swim, bike, run all day everyday. Well, soon, everyone started to get slightly annoyed with my annoying ability to sneak triathlon talk into any conversation. Try it, give me a topic and I'll turn it into Tri talk in less than 30 secs. Just look at that, I'm typing in the "social life" section of my blog and I'm talking about it! STOP ME NOW! I'm done.

Okay, I've been glad to have spent the last couple weeks getting to know a new friend, we'll call him "Adam". Why am I protecting his name you ask? I'm not. His name really is Adam. Anyways, here's the story of how we met. My sister's husband has a brother. This brother has a friend- Adam. My brother-in-law's mom decided that Adam and I were meant to be together (no pressure. lol). So, we facebook stalked him and turns out he's actually a really cool guy. Getting to know him has been interesting. I understand why she thought we'd get along. He totally has the same humor as me. I've never been able to make the jokes or sarcastic comments that I want to make without fear of offending someone. Well, he's equally rude, so it works out. lol. Okay, I didn't mean that. He's actually very kind. So, I'd have to say, I was glad to have met someone who could really hold their own in a conversation with me. He took me on a few dates and I was able to meet his friends, he met mine. All that fun stuff. And before it began, it was over. :D Why you ask? Well, as much as our personalities matched, our lifestyles differed. He likes to go out, have a good time hanging out at the bar, with his friends, look nice, go to concerts, watch "the game" and all that "cool early 20's" stuff people do. And me, well, I like to workout, train, hang with my team of triathletes and obsess over dorky bike stuff. I wanna be outside, breathe the fresh air and appreciate every leaf that falls from a tree. Okay, I'm not that big of a hippy but I've definitely turned into a nature lover within the last year. So, we're 2 different people and no sarcastic jokes or quick little quips can make us perfect for each other. However, I'm pretty sure we could have an awesome tag-team friendship! He has no choice. He is going to be my friend! Maybe down the road, if our lifestyles ever do line up, then it will work, but until then....I'M SINGLE AND LOOOOOOOVIN' IT.

That's another topic of discussion. I think I'm addicted to the single life. Will I ever stop being a flirt? I'm not promiscuous by ANY MEANS, but I definitely love the conversation of another single guy. Okay, you're right, they don't even have to be single. I just love the conversation of another guy! They're so easy to talk to. Everything is so simple, and honest. You don't have to read into the things they're saying and dig deep to discover what they "really mean" by that last comment. They mean what they say! So easy. Not to mention, when a conversation with a guy ends. That's it. You don't have to walk away evaluating every single detail of the interaction like you would with a girl. Was she looking at my eyebrows? Do you think she really did like my shirt or she was just saying that so I'd comment on her hat? Does she expect a birthday gift from me? She didn't get me one. I wonder if she'll repeat what I said about her best friend. Shit, I shouldn't have said that. I should probably text the best friend and talk and make sure we're close before she finds out what I said...
Yeah, with guys...its just a conversation, not a mind F&#K!


Pewwwwwwwwww...peww...pewww.. Fireworks are going off outside my window. Today is the night when our city hosts there 4th of July fireworks show. Why so early? Well, the show sucks and it can't compare to the one next weekend, and the weekend after that, and the one after that...so the only way they can get people to show up is to host it sooo damn early in the summer that people have nothing better to do. Do I sound bitter right now? It's week three of the pack. Ladies, you know that that means. That means this week sucks for everyone that has to talk to me, and next week sucks for me. God, I'm seriously so mean during week 3. I'm sorry everyone.

Highlights of the week:
  • Caterina's 21st birthday bash! It was so much fun!
  • Thursday's ride in the lab- kicked all the guys asses
  • Relaxing today all morning, 10.25 mile run in afternoon.
  • Drinking Margarita's and watching Pulp Fiction with Caterina last night. Running from store to store in the pouring rain looking for it
  • iPhone 3.0 update! Landscape keyboard, shake to shuffle..many more features.
  • Adam's music playlists. New songs to fuel more workouts and mellow me out during work.
  • No triathlon tomorrow. Feeling totally relaxed and not guilty about being lazy.
  • Figuring out a few more details to who I am and what I want. Finding the pefect balance.
  • Dinner with Meriam, great conversation
  • Hanging out with Caitlin whom I love and miss tonight! (I know it'll be a highlight already!)
  • Clearing everything up with Adam. Removing the worries and awkwardness and having him back as a friend! He's awesome.
  • Friday's swim, felt strong and fast!
  • Finally getting my black nailpolish off! It is not easy being a badass!

Alright, until next time y'all. When's next time? I have no idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment