Friday, March 27, 2009

Bicycles are bi-social class

Is there any other sport where the popularity of it's practice is
divided between both the highest and lowest social classes? Biking is
the only sport that comes to mind when I think of both homeless people
and the wealthy. Not only do I notice that contrast, I must also point
out that it is also divided between the healthiest and the unfit. What
makes me think about this?well, in the midst of daydreaming over my
new road bike that is sitting in the bike shop just 2 hours away from
being perfectly fit to my body I saw a biker pass me (I'm walking
right now for my run cooldown). This biker was a woman...no, maybe it
was a guy, well, actually I can't confirm the gender but the bike was
purple. This purple pedestrian was exhibiting the finest form of
multitasking I had probably ever seen. One hand holding a cell phone
was hanging limp over the handlebars. The other hand was free flying
from mouth back to purple's side. This motion allowed purple to
successfully smoke a cigarette while riding a bike while texting. And
did I mention the purse and the bags hanging from the handlebars (a
purse! A-ha! It must've been a woman!) I'm going to be a little
judgemental with my assumption that those party store bags flowing
with the motion of the bike may have contained a bottle or two of mood
altering substances. (booze). Okay now take that image it and compare
it to your basic iron man. His tires alone are probably worth more
than purple's annual income. If he has bags on his bike, they are
holding his nutrition needs and tools to fix a flat. His multitasking
is drinking water while riding, while strategizing, while pacing
himself. He's inhaling fresh oxygen and using every bit of it to his
advantage, not polluting his lungs with a cancer stick. Should I even
compare dress? A ripped jean jacket that serves as day clothes,
workout clothes, riding apparel and likely- pajamas as well, is
purple's main fashion statement. Mr.ironman is wearing a variety of
wicking materials and Lycra/spandex. Or, did he just paint his body to
look like he's wearing clothes? Who really knows, but I'm not
objecting to having his defined muscles exposed for spectators to
appreciate. I could probably go on forever discussing the differences
between purple and ironman but the curious point that I'm intending on
making is their similarity- riding that bicycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment