I'm high on endorphins and sunshine so I figured a lil bloggin' with dinner would be a good idea. Today was pretty much amazing. I was super duper excited that it was supposed to be 70 today and nice ALL DAY LONG....aaand it's Saturday! I looked at the weather report and decided it would be best to plan my workouts from 12:00pm-6:00pm because that timeframe was the height of the weather perfection. I woke up early, sat in my nook staring out the window and read Eat, Pray, Love (so far, so good). I daydreamed about how amazing the day would be, and started getting my shit together. I grabbed my TT bike and my mountain bike and said, "today, I will be a mountain biker!" (I've said that about 15 times in the last month but today was actually going to be the day). I packed up both pairs of cycling shoes, a pair of Newton racers, Newton trail runners, and flip flops of course. I took inventory and realized I needed a few things for today's adventure. I stopped at Fraser and saw all of my favorite people, had a few laughs and headed out to Stony. Someone asked "who are you going with" and I laughed. I go to the bar- I know no one, I go to Stony- I know everyone. "I'll find someone when I get there!". 2 minutes after arriving there I met up with Tim Storm and we rode 3 laps together. It worked out to 30 miles in about 90 minutes, he kept saying that I was pushing the pace and I told him it was Igor (My TT bike is like cheating...it's just so damn aero). We finished the 3 and saw Pete and Jan (2 familiar faces of FB) and talked for a bit before we split up and I went to mountain bike world. I showed up at the West Branch parking lot and instantly made friends. Mountain bikers are always so friendly! I think this might have something to do with the fact that there are approximately 28 guys for every 1 girl. I did a quick change, grabbed my camel back, my other shoes, and pumped up my tires for the first time in ages. I always have to check the tire to see the recommended PSI because I'm used to 110psi for my TT bike and in mtb world I've learned that less is more. I got on my bike, made sure my fork wasn't locked out and headed into the danger zone! About 2 minutes in I saw Kathy, a teammate, who was finishing up. We talked for a bit and made plans to hopefully meet up for a ride later in the week. We split ways and I was on my own, just me and the trails. Sometimes I get a little nervous going in alone but then I recall EVERY SINGLE OTHER mountain biking experience I've had and realized that I'm always alone, even if I'm with people, they always left me behind. Jerks! I started off easy then got right back into the swing of things. I always underestimate myself on a mountain bike. On a TT bike, I'm a stud. On a Mtb, I'm just alright...but I don't totally suck. I just kept thinking...I've done this a million times, I've raced this course TWICE, I'm not gonna die! I had no idea where I was going, I just followed all the signs towards "easiest" for about 10 minutes, then "more difficult" for about 15, then "most difficult" for the remainder of the ride (35 minutes). I found my way into the rollercoaster, the pines, made it to the top of mt.sheldon and even saw a few of my favorite trees that I have crashed into in the past! I met up with a group of guys that were going my pace and announced that I was following them. They welcomed me into their group and complimented me on how muddy my bike was (dirtiest girl award). As I approached the 1 hour mark of my ride, I headed out to the parking lot. Did a quick change, and headed out for my run (covered in mud and at this point I had my new visible bike short tan lines). I ran for 35 minutes. I had planned for an hour but the wind was TERRIBLE! I watched a young girl on a bicycle literally fall over from a gust of wind. I came back to my car, grabbed a towel, set it up on the grass and stretched. A few guys asked if I was "getting all zen like". "uh yeah". They ALSO commented on my muddy bike. I told them that I was just proud that I wasn't bleeding and they said, "you should go out and celebrate...tonight...with us". Hahah. I said I had to grocery shop. ;D This is when I realized something I once knew. Chicks on mountain bikes are rare. Let me rephrase- single chicks on mtb's are rare. This bike is like the ultimate man magnet. I'm just gonna leave it on the back of my car, all muddy and used. If anyone asks, "yup, I ride". Aside from my bike's magical powers- I actually did have a great time. It's really nice to be out there, not knowing what's coming up next (that's only because I had no idea where I was going) and being forced to overcome fear with each obstacle. I always told people that mountain biking was like "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit" but when you're done you're like, "yup, I'm a badass". Very rewarding.
Once I finally got home I made some whole wheat pasta with organic tomato basil marinara (Trader joes) sauce, (TJ's) Turkey meatballs, garlic naan (TJ's) and green beans (TJ's). Delicious...but I really wanted pizza. :)
Finishing up my laundry and heading out for the evening! Tomorrow is EASTER! Can't wait to see my family <3
No comments:
Post a Comment