Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Swim.Bike.Run.

Swimming, biking, and running are three verbs I never had in my vocabulary. Or, at least they weren't properly defined.


Before my new life at 20 list of definitions:
>>Swimming: Getting my bathing suit on, only feeling really good about it if I had an awesome tan and I had a bathing suit that hid the bad and showed off the good...(I used to have boobs...big ones). Maybe getting in the pool. I guess I should define pool...and bathing suit.

>>Pool: Four feet deep. Warm. Located in direct sunlight or else I wasn't interested.

>>Pool toys: noodles and inflatables.

>>Bathing Suit: Boobs look big. Stomach is covered just enough. Victoria's Secret brand. Perfect fit.

>>Run: Something everyone else did. Something every girly magazine talked about. Something that the sold "running shoes" for. Something that required good knees, good hips. Something I didn't have. Something I would never do.

>>Bike: What I rode around town when I was in 6th grade. I was a girl with a dyno. (a boy bike..why? I don't know) A bike was beyond my memory. I was too tall and simply forgot about a bike as a workout or transportation option.

>>Locker Room: Athletes hang out in there and I will NEVER get naked in one. My body is a temple.

My new life has new definitions:
>>Swim: Is my form right? How's my breathing? When is this workout going to end? Why am I out of breath? I would be sweating for SURE if I was on land.

>>Bathing Suit: Tight as a mother! like a new layer of skin. One piece. Speedo. Always kinda damp from the swim the day before. Did i mention tiiiiight and speedo? Not sexy. Not at all.

>>Pool: I better get my own lane. Or, at least share with someone nice. How's the temperature? Where's the clock? Indoors. Usually a highschool or university. Everyone around me is usually swimming stronger. I'm envious of their form.

>>Pool toys: Fins, pull bouy, paddles, kick board

>>Run: The reason I got a treadmill. The workout I hate the most. The cause of my pain but the reason I push harder. The last part of the triathlon. The biggest fear. My biggest accomplishment so far and what leads me to believe that one should never say never. I told everyone that I can't and won't ever run and here I am...running.

>>Bike: A serious obsession. A lifestyle. An investment. A stress relief. A word I use at least 30 times a day. A mountain bike? A road bike? A tri bike? What brand is it? How much did it cost? How many months of working does that equal? What about bike shorts, and shoes, and pedals, and did you get fit? Is everything adjusted right? How does it feel? How much power can I produce on it? How fast will I go? How hard can I push? How sore will I feel?

>>Locker Room: Where I take the majority of my showers. Where the shower heads are too short for me. Where nudity is welcome and my ass is proud to make an appearance. A place to talk about anything. A common ground. A gathering place for women with all the same goals.

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to define "Turbo Jam"

    Before
    Turbo Jam: Something you heard Caterina obsess over. You yelled at her for not answering your phone calls because she was jamming. You thought she was a crazy fool for yelling out words like "pump it!" when random songs came on the radio.

    Now
    Turbo Jam: A way of life. Jab, Cross, Hook and Upper Cut are not only cool dance moves but ways in which to kick other's asses. It's a fun dance party that leaves you a sweaty mess. A way to bring you and your best friend together.

    :)

    ReplyDelete